Monday, September 12, 2011

The Good and the Bad

I just completed my first week in San Jose and although im having a good time there have been quite a few problems.  First, I almost didnt make it into the country because of their visa laws.  I almost had a heart attack but I kept it together long enough for them to give me my 90 day stamp. It was a close call though.  The students I have met are really cool so it helps to all of us to feel a little more at home.  My tico mom and dad are wonderful...they treat me and my roommate as if we are their children.  On the other hand, the ISA staff here in San Jose arent very good. I havent had a class and I will not have a class until the 22 of September so to say that I am bored is an understatement.  My classmates and I went to the beach this weekend which was beautiful BUT we spent had to use our own money for this trip because all of the excursions with our new school do not start until Oct.  So to sum it up.....I have no class and nothing at all to do.

Life in another country is so interesting....you never really know how good you have it until you experience the world.  I never expected that we could not flush toilet paper down the toilet.......I thought that's what everybody does, but that is not the case. I also didnt expect that lunch isnt a big deal here. Although there are many differences there also are a lot of similarities.  The people are just like us outside of the fact that they speak a different language.  They dress like us, party like us and socialize the same way we do. However their food is WAY better than anything we can find in the states.  I have never tasted fruit or vegetables so fresh.....their food is better than anything that Whole foods or even Trader Joes could ever sell you. 

I feel like I have been here forever and I'm not sure if that is a good  or bad thing. I have had dancing lessons, I have gone to parties, caught cabs, and busses, gone to the beach, stayed in a hostel, taken many cold showers, and the list goes on. But I have also spent way more money than I would have ever thought I would.  I have 15 weeks left so I can only imagine whats to come in the future.

If I would have known that my classes would not start for 3 wks I probably would have stayed home with my family a little longer.  But since I am here I am going to make the best of it.  Next week I start my volunteering program at the Childrens Hospital....I am overjoyed with excitement by the wonderful things that I will gain from this.  Also this week is Costa Rica's Independence Day so I can't wait to enjoy the festivities.  I am so happy that the axiety is over and that I can enjoy my time here....everyday is a learning experience and I am open to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment