Sunday, November 20, 2011

im back finally!

ok so a lot has happened since my last post but I have been keeping a weekly diary so that I wouldnt forget anything so here we go.

So my friends and I went to our first soccer game in Costa Rica...it was amazing. One of the local teams, Alejuela, played the LA Galaxy. We ofcourse cheered for the Galaxy, it was exciting and a little scary because everyone knew that we were gringos as soon as we entered the stadium.  The energy in the stadium was unlike anything I have ever experienced before. Unfortuneately the Galaxy lost but it is a memory that will last forever.

I finally got to see my placement for my volunteering assignment.  I will be working at the only childrens hospital in all of Costa Rica.  I'm excited that I will get to be in a hospital and working with children since that is my life goal. My placement is kinda far from my house which means that I will have to catch the bus, something that I havnt done in years. We also planned and went on our first trip this weekend. We went to Puerto Viejo which is a province in Limon, Costa Rica. This is where most of the black people in Costa Rica live.  Black people weren't allowed within the city limits of San Jose until the 1950's so there aren't very many mixed or black people in the city.  Costa Ricans pride themselves on this. Puerto Viejo is amazing and a Lot of fun. I stayed in a hostel for the first time in my life. It is called Rocking J's. It was a very interesting experience to say the least, but let's just say the freezing cold showers and shared bathrooms aren't really my thing so I will not be staying there again. It was fun to explore on our own but I can not wait for our school excursions because Costa Rica so far has been pretty expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment